Saturday, November 28, 2009

Pretty horse alert...

Michelle's Mother in Law brought her mare in for training today. I knew she was a draft cross, which I tend to like, and had seem some photos, but I wasn't prepared for how much I would like this mare! She is a Canadian crossed with a Percheron/Arab, about 15.2 hands, black, with an amazing mane and tail. She moves great and is built like a very nice riding horse with a pretty face to top it off. Her name is Xena, and I can't wait to start riding her.

It made me think that maybe Christine should start perusing the Arab/Percheron ads...seems like it may be a promising cross for dressage, which an easier looking trot than the average Friesian.

Karen

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Did Maggie tell you about Merlin? Xena's full brother, a gelding who is her twin except in grey.

Hillside Stable said...

What is she doing with Merlin? She said they make a cute pair! I think she needs to buy a cart for them.

Michelle said...

They drove before she got them. Old skool farmer :) It's actually a funny story how she bought the two of them...her daughter was trying to buy this guy's farm, and he was being quite difficult. Finally the farm sale was dropped, but MIL was stuck on the two horses and drove like 7 hours to get them!

Merlin is a little spookier than Xena and not as friendly, so I think she is going to continue with groundwork for a while. She has the harnesses all set to go, and her friends had a commercial draft team in Switzerland. She's got the horses, the harness and the drivers...cart MUST be next!

Hillside Stable said...

She showed me pictures of Xena in her harness...very fancy! I would love to see the two of them pulling a cutter or something. Of course Xena also should be in the dressage ring...although no idea what you would do with her mane. I don't think I have seen a thicker mane!

Karen