Wednesday, November 4, 2009

But what does it mean?!?

As you know I am spending a lot of time going through horse ads, and every once and a while I come across an ad for a horse where it is "guaranteed sound". Usually done so in bold, and over misspelled.

But what does that mean? Does it mean the horse is as far as the owner knows sound, so they are willing to stake their reputation on the horse's general soundness at the time of sale? That they will return all money paid if the horse is lame, or refund the cost of a vet check if the horse doesn't pass?

Maybe they have x-ray vision and know exactly what is going on inside the horse and can see that arthritic changes aren't taking place internally.

Or does it mean "please God, don't let them vet check my horse or I will never get it sold. With enough bute it should stay sound a day or two...or at least be lame on both sides enough to even it out so it looks sound..."

Or perhaps "Yep, it's sound...all 4 legs have been nerved so many times the horse can't feel anything so it could have a nail in its ankle and still wouldn't limp".

I am not sure what people mean when they say "negotiable to a good home" either. Does that mean the horse can go to a bad home for full price, but if the home is good, you can get a deal?

And I am really tired of all the photos of helmetless children sitting bareback on the unbroke colt to show how quiet it is...

Karen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Negotiable to a good home"
It means :

"if I say that, then only good homes will answer, and I do not have to feel guilty about just selling it to the first person who comes along, even if it is for 1/4 the price. At least I can eat for a couple more weeks before going to Money Mart for a pay day loan."

Michelle said...

For me it means "please, PLEASE call me if you're sane and even if you don't have very much money. I'd rather sell for less than sell to one of the million crackpots that are going to call."

Perry. A Jumper. For a brand new rider. Brill. 20 minutes it took me to convince the lady that a 3 year old BARELY 15 hand half draft was a poor choice.

Hillside Stable said...

Oh come on Michelle, 3 year olds make great first horses...are you not paying attention to all the ads out there right now? I think there is a yearing colt right now that would be perfect for junior!

THe sad things is, certain people know how to seem sane and nice and even drag kids with them...but they are evil and haul the horse/pony to slaughter or to be drugged and sold.

People with the skill of seeming nice seem to get away with scamming over and over...people like me that can't help but be bitchy have to actually build a reputation...