Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Babies are growing up!

The Northern Breeders Classic snuck up on me...and is this Saturday! I am not sure why I thought it was Sunday which works so much better with my schedule. I THINK I am going to take Piper, Clare is taking Magnus, and Christine may take Bliss. This of course means the three of us have to actually teach our horses to trot the triangle and stand up for the judge.

I tried trotting Piper on the lead today, and she was ok jogging, but to get her to move out sent her into an excited tizzy. I decided maybe I should take it slow and work on one step at a time rather than just expecting her to know what "Trot" and clucking means right out of the paddock...

Now if I take her, I need to decide what to show her in. I guess they don't follow EC rules, so she doesn't need a bit, so the in hand bridle can wait another year, but not sure if I should show in a purple halter...thoughts? Coregel wears Ziggy's old black halter, but I think it will be a little big around Pipers nose. Anyone have a small/medium horse leather halter I can borrow?

Piper and Coregel also got a bit of a make over with their manes trimmed...please don't make fun of them.

Coregel also got some training today, and walked over the scarey bridge and walked up and down off the platform once. I was pretty happy with her, as usually she is too upset when away from Piper to do much of anything.

Coregel and Piper are so different not only in personality, but also in build. Piper is much happier to be in the barn (but NOT in a stall as she made clear yesterday), and leads and stands quietly, only getting a little distracted by the sound of Coregel winnying. Coregel on the other hand paws and hits her shoulder into the wall...but she is getting better, and leads great. She just doesn't do well if left to her own devices, but when she is being asked to do something, she is super sweet.

Piper is much finer, and the darker of the two...but she is already 15.1 hands in front, and 15.2 at the rump...and she is 16 months old. Coregel is 14.3 hands. She seems to stay 2 inches behind Piper, but has a much heavier build with bigger legs and joints. She is going to be a solid warmblood when she grows up...no one will mistake her for a thoroughbred like little Dexter.

So...does anyone want to come and help Saturday morning at the breeder show? We need someone to help get behind the young horses to get them to trot, and to help as groom.

Karen

No comments: