Sunday, September 20, 2009

The Art of Praise

Rob and I watched a bit of Spruce Meadows last night...wow the jumps are huge! I remember the complete terror I felt jumping in the region of 5 feet on a few occasions. I cannot imagine jumping an entire course of jumps that are bigger than, or about the same size, as the horse I am riding.

I would like to have a jumping horse again though...maybe Carma in a few years? Maybe S'Argent ?

While watching the show, I would see riders do the big arm slap to their horse's neck. I hate the neck slap thing. What is the horse supposed to get out of that? I get why it happens though...the rider has all that built up tension to release, but I vastly prefer the arm pumping. I know I sometimes feel the urge to slap my horses neck for a job well done, and I know most of my students want to do it to, but it really doesn't benefit the horse and so is an odd form of praise/thanks.

So, here it is, my take on how to praise a horse effectively: The Art of Praise

Karen

No comments: