Friday, June 11, 2010

Oh, DEER!

After tacking Charmer up, I decided it was far to nice out to stick to riding in the indoor, so I decided to head outside. Just as I led her out the barn, LR and Cara's owners drove up, so I led Charmer around back to show them where the girls were out on grass and we talked about their horses for a bit. Charmer started to get restless, so I got on and walked her a bit while we talked, and as I did this, we noticed the geldings that are out back on grass being goofy, with ears pricked and alert. They were however, all looking different directions, so I figured they were just being paranoid as Clare2 had taken Sunny in to ride, and they were left to defend themselves.

So after M & D left, I decided to head out on a trail ride. Ginger noticed, and of course followed. As we get into the trees, I discovered the boys weren't being silly for nothing....there was indeed a deer back there! Charmer didn't even flinch when it jumped out in front of us (I did!). Ginger on the other hand saw a lifetime supply of bones running away and started barking and leaping after us. I expected though, that the deer would be long gone in a matter of seconds, as they are very quick and agile...and sure enough, I did not see the deer again.

Rather than run after it across the hills, Ginger decided to look for the deer in the trees in hopes that maybe it left a leg behind or something. So as Ginger went on her search I continued my ride through the trees...but then I heard the dog barking just to the south of me and worried that maybe she had found another deer and was about to chase it my way...but it was NOT a deer she had spotted...it was a chestnut quarter horse mare and rider! And she leaped out of the bush barking right on our heels!

Seriously...what horse wouldn't react to that?!?

Poor Charmer. Her front half wanted to get the heck out of there, and her back half wanted to kick at the insane thing chasing her. I just wondered why I had put my flattest and slipperiest english saddle on for a trail ride...

Thankfully she is a sensible horse, and we regained control with me still in the saddle. She kept a bit of an eye on the bushes after that though!

Ginger on the other hand seemed to feel quite proud of herself despite her obvious error, and went prancing off for a swim in the dug out.

And this is another reason why cats are better than dogs...

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And Amanda never went on a trail ride again....
Thank goodness your OK! It must have been a deer day! There was a young buck grazing on the grass outside my office all day, right in the middle of the city! They are so much cuter when you are not mounted.....BAD GINGER!

Amanda