Tuesday, March 23, 2010

I rode Triton today for the first time. I hadn't planned to, I had only planned to lunge him lightly in the dressage saddle...but then I saw my helmet hanging on a standard and it was just too tempting.

Of course he was just in his halter, and the saddle had no stirrups...but hey, he's quiet and short...so what could go wrong?

So after attaching the lead rope to both sides of the halter, I leaned across the saddle a few times, then I heaved myself on proper. Usually when I first get on, I just let them do what they want to, whether that be sit there, or wander to the out gate (or the Beamer...wander all over the place!). Triton decided to be different...he decided to paw the mounting block....and get his leg stuck in it! Momentary concern (aka panic) on my part as I considered jumping off as he backed up trying to untangle himself, but he really seemed unphased, and got himself free all on his own, so I stayed on and we wandered around the ring. What a good boy! He didn't feel at all small under me either.

I think he will actually enjoy the attention of regular work!

Karen

No comments: