Saturday, December 19, 2009

Well this morning was...hmmm...well, it required too much thought. Too much going on in too many different ways. So after teaching I decided that the great outdoors was calling me, so i tacked up young Grady in my western saddle and Rocket's bitless bridle and we headed outside. What better to take my mind off things than to take a young horse out in the great outdoors for the first time?

I had planned just to tour the yard, but we ended up heading down the road to the hay field. The first time traffic approached, the pickup truck driver slowed right down and gave the car trying to pass him a rude gesture...did he know I was on a young horse? Did he watch The Horse Whisperer too many times? No idea, but it worked well to make sure the boy was ok with cars, and later on when cars passed at normal speeds, he didn't care. The only things that bothered him were the neighbours big red bows blowing in the wind, and when a tree branch would brush my jacket and snap back. I wasn't keen on the snow covered branches hitting me either, but I wanted to let him pick his path in the deep snow.

I got a little cold, but otherwise had a lot of fun, so i think I have to break free of the arena more often! Anyone want to join me :)

Karen

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I do, I do!!! Maybe next time I come out to ride Grady, we could try to arrange something like that (getting out of the arena)? Or maybe the time after that - if I can get out there twice before bringing him home. I'm so proud of him, and very happy with the job you've done thus far :o)

Hillside Stable said...

We will have to do a warm weather dance...unless you want to ride on Christmas!

Michelle said...

This post came up in a weird colour, it was tought to read. I like the black text better :)

Happy Holidays Hillside!