Friday, July 23, 2010

I finally went to Greenhawk today. Wanted to see what they had to offer, and to see if it would replace Tudor as my tack store recommendation.

First impression was that they have a nice store front and decent parking. The layout in the store is nice. What I didn't like? The obnoxious and too loud music that was better suited to a young adult clothing sore than a tack store. I really didn't want to spend much time in there. I did buy some stuff though; Venice Turpentine, a neat bathing brush (a body brush with a sponge in the middle), and white gloves. Yes, I finally bought white gloves (with the money Brie won at the last show). Clare told me not to buy SSG gloves, so I got these super fancy ones that have super grippy leather that is machine washable. I am quite excited to show in them!

The gloves were listed as On Sale. Regular $54.95
Sale Price: $52.95

$2.00 off. Less than 4% off. That is less than the GST. Not sure I consider that a "Sale" price. That annoyed me to.

I did see a rather pretty double bridle there that I briefly considered...until I noted the padding on the crown piece was such that it pressed the crown piece closer to the ears rather than holding the crown back from the ears...which is another reason I am not super keen on Greenhawk...they are limited as to what they can offer as they only offer "their" stuff.

So off to Tudor I went. There I found pleasant back ground music. And I found a helpful, but non-annoying sales rep who agreed to special order in a specific girth that they don't regularly carry with no pressure to buy it if I don't like it. They have also ordered in the special high wither pads that I recommended as they work well with mono-flap saddles. No pressure to buy them once they come in. Also got a good deal on a pony bridle as I seem to be a pony trainer these days and it is a pain to adjust for the three ponies in training right now.

Discussed my concerns about the one staff person who gives less than stellar advice, so hopefully that is addressed as well, as that is my only source of discontent with Tudor.

I still haven't been to Horse Life's actual store, but with its distance it would be impractical to shop there. I do like their travelling store.

So Tudor Tack Shoppe remains my tack store recommendation.

Although I did like the fly sheets and Greenhawk if anyone is looking for a rain sheet!

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

BA HA HA HA HA!!! You have finally come over to the dark side!! (White gloves) I love my white gloves...you will too! Get ready to wash them daily at shows!

Let me know when the high wither saddle pads come in, I know somebody who may be able to use them.....

Horse life is near my work.... very helpful and knowledgable staff, but not very dressage oriented...very jumper/eventer in my opinion.... but they do carry the supplements no one else seems to. i got my overpriced blood builder there! And they are also willing to order for you. I give them a thumbs up!

Also, if you need to wash your "horsie stuff", a girl I work with took a ton of pads, boots, and blankets to "Lint Trap Laundromat" on 149th street and 93? ave....paid $25, and they did it all for her...cash only...bring a friend to wait in the car.... he will ask how much you are willing to pay, and negotiate with you!

And thanks for mentioning "less than stellar advice girl". I hope it can stop the madness.

Amanda