Monday, July 5, 2010

A fitting end to a long, but good day.

This was the scene I encountered when I went out to feed hay last night: A very bright rainbow stretching across the skyline while the rain fell oh so lightly.
I feel a little lost today without the horse show planning and jump building/painting cluttering my thoughts. I expected to be mentally tired today, but was shocked at how physically tired I am. First horse I rode today was Brax. I got on, we walked, we turn on the forehanded, then I went to ask for trot. My legs were like Jelly. I felt like a beginner bouncing my legs off a tired old lesson horse. Fortunately Brax eventually got the hint and we did manage some trotting. I didn't even consider cantering him! I did manage to ride 7 horses today...now is time for a nap!
I will post pictures from the show tomorrow. I got some decent ones of the higher divisions...although none of our crew as I was too stressed during the first part of the show to take photos. I think Laureen and Amanda may have some pictures though.
I am very impressed with how everyone from Hillside pulled together to make our first Hillside run show a success! It was a bit of the blind leading the blind, and fly by the seat of our pants as none of us had ever done such a thing, but I think we did great! Now we need to make notes of what worked and didn't so we can improve on things for the August show!
Special thanks to our wonderful show office: Wyn, Laura and Madison. To our gate people: Nicole & Friend, and Laureen. To jump crew; Cam, Christine K, Renee, Shinaya & sometimes Jessie, our timer, Jessie, our Judge Christine, my poop picker helper Amanda, and of course Rob who ferried horses back and forth for us! Rob's parents for building the white standards. Natalie for helping with jump building and helping at the barn Sunday morning. Oh, and to Michelle, who guarded the show grounds for us the night before, and was, as always a source of entertainment and general positiveness. Did I forget anyone? Likely. I am tired and a cat has fallen asleep on me. Hard to focus with a purring cat on my shoulder.
Amanda noted last night that we managed to run a show where NO ONE fell off! I didn't see any crying either, or loose dogs!
I will be updating the website with results and photos tomorrow!
Thanks everyone!
Karen

6 comments:

Laureen said...

It was so much fun!! Nicole was asleep by 7pm and up early enough to make coffee and cook me breakfast!! One of the ladies said thank you to me for having such a well organized show!! I explained that I had nothing to do with it, but said I would pass on her thanks!!! I do have almost 200 pics so plan to get them on disc asap!

Michelle and Zora said...

No one fell OFF...

:D

Karen said...

Ah Michelle...we have a picture of you on the ground! (thanks to Laureen) It will be posted!

Anyone know who the third photographer was?

Michelle said...

Our friend XinXin was there, she has a VIDEO of me tripping!

The third photographer had a very fancy-looking camera...

Anonymous said...

Michelle, did you go boom without your horsie's help?

Amanda

Michelle said...

I had a rail in the 12" class, yes. There was much laughter. I wasn't going to bring Zora to the next show, but now I have to redeem myself.

Zora cleared the fence by about 4' though, after it jumped up and ate me, no WAY was she letting her little hoofies touch it!