Monday, July 19, 2010

and we are home...and still it rains!

The final day of the show tried to cooperate a little weather wise, with only a little rain in the morning...but too little too late for the rings really. The warm up ring had strips of decent footing, with mud in between, and ring 2 started out wet...and worked its way to chewed up by the end of the class.

Brie went early in Ring 2, again with only a walk warm up and just couldn't find confidence in the footing. We fishtailed a bit down centerline, and struggled with some of the early movements, although as the test went on she seemed to find her footing and it did get better. Tango went MUCH later in the same ring/class, but by the time we went there were significant chewed up spots I had not been expecting and we struggled with consistency.

Brie's second class was indoors, and again she was spooking at the concession. It surprised me as she had been fine indoors for the freestyle, so not sure if it is the light coming in that end or the concession itself. Perhaps she doesn't like the smell of hamburgers? I really wasn't sure what to do when she completely stopped in her tracks, so after a moment of consideration I just turned her across the ring as close to the end as I could and continued on. Interestingly she did not spook going the other way, and her gaits were much more expressive for the rest of the test!

Tango's last test was Second Level test 4. My hardest test of the show. We were both tired for this class and it was hard to summon the required energy to do some of the movements well (for example we just pivoted for our turn on the haunches left), but I was overall happy and it was good to get a chance at all the tests so I know what to work on for the next show (with Tango I need to work on lateral suppleness, and with Brie better acceptance of the bit).

Overall I was at first disappointed that I wasn't getting the same scores as last show, but then I considered that I had moved up a level on Tango, and it was Brie's first real dressage show, so in that light I was pretty satisfied with our performance and results. I did manage to get a ribbon for each class entered with many seconds and thirds, and the one first and reserve champion.

Magnus improved greatly during the show and won walk/trot champion. Clare had mixed feelings about that; proud of her horse on the one hand, and a little embarrassed to be beating 7 year old kids on the other hand.

So...under two weeks to learn, improve, and prepare for the next show!

Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe your next freestyle could be to "Blame it on the Rain"!

If you don't do it, I will.....

Amanda

Hillside Stable said...

At the last show they played "singing in the rain" while I warmed up in the rain...if you can calling walking in the rain warming up.