Friday, July 30, 2010

Day 1

Slightly different weather than I am used to this year at Amberlea! Rob hauled me out on Thursday and walked Brie while I rode Tango. Tango needed the work, but Brie seemed pretty flat in the high humidity, and with the show only in the outdoor rings I didn't think steady Brie needed to really see the rings. The show barns were pretty sticky so we didn't blanket last night..so Tango was a pinto when I got there this morning!

I rode Brie first, and it went much better than last show. She seems happy in the hard warm-up ring footing. The footing in the big ring was still a little deep to her liking, but much better than the mudfest of last show! Both her scores were in the 60's, and she received a second and a forth. Brie's second class ran a little late, causing me some stress as Tango's was set to go 35 minutes after Brie, so time was tight. Fortunately Marlene (Brie's owner) was there to help...unfortunately Tango decided to have a lay down nap while I rode Brie! Thankfully her stall was clean, so no new spots!

My ride on Tango wasn't as satisfactory as Brie's. She wasn't comfortable on the hard footing (shoes next year!), and I think I was starting to get over heated and not working as hard as I should. Still, our first test went fairly well and we received a 2nd. Next test was about 35 minutes later...and I was way over heated. And I forgot my first 10 meter circle...I have to stop messing up my tests! Arg. Tango also broke to canter for both our medium trots. No idea why. I felt I was sitting ok, but I guess not...or maybe she was hot/tired to. Parts of it were quite good though, so I have to build on those good parts. She also got a second and a forth.

I rode all four tests within 2 hours and 20 minutes, and was done riding by 12:45. It felt good to be done, but at the same time I wish I had had more time to cool down between classes! Tomorrow I just have two morning classes and two afternoon classes, so it should be an easier day. And in case jackets are waived for the afternoon classes (freestyles) Marlene bought me a pastel pink shirt to wear! It has a silly snaffle bit zipper pull thingy I will have to chop off, but otherwise it is a nice shirt....very fitted and perhaps tighter than I would normally wear, but I think it will look sharp in the show ring.

Rob and I went back tonight to look after the girls. He walked them while I cleaned stalls and got their dinners ready. Quite the lightening show on our way there and home! It followed us home and I fed the horse's dinner with the thunder overhead. Hopefully the thunder is done so I can get a good nights sleep tonight.

Karen

1 comment:

Christine K said...

Congratulations! And good luck today!