Sunday, January 17, 2010

How to get a job 101

I have a job posting up for someone to come work part time as a groom/barn assistant. The ad is fairly specific as to the hours and requirements, and also specifies how to apply.

So...

Hint 1: make sure you more or less work the schedule specified As much as I appreciate the keenness of a 14 year old, I would rather not encourage dropping out of junior high.

Hint 2: Have relevant skills and outline them. Sending me your resume with absolutely no mention of horses is unlikely to get you a job.

Hint 3: Use a keyboard with all the letters. "R U still hiring?" isn't going to get you the job. How hard is it to type those 4 extra letters? "4 me 2 call" was another interesting abbreviation.

Hint 4: Don't tell me you have your own business training horses, and then get pissy when I tell you I think it may present a possible conflict of interest to have you assisting me with my training horses. Getting pissy won't win you any friends, and it certainly won't help change my mind!

Hint 5: Have you heard of spell check? Or research? Don't tell me how you have worked with Stalions, and Shetlons and then be shocked when you don't hear back from me!

The fun of hiring.

On the same note, later this week there will be an info sheet posted in the barn: we are looking for boarders and students who are interested/able to assist on a casual basis should the need arise, such as during horse shows, or in case of an emergency.

Karen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I often get resumes that have head shots and height/weight/measurements! My faveorites will be people applying for nursing jobs even though they are not nurses! They will have the name of their spouse who is a nurse, as if that somehow makes them qualified to be one!

People are insane.

Amanda

Hillside Stable said...

I could use the height/weight measurements...I want to make sure the person weighs more than a square hay bale, but less than a round bale...

And anyway, it is not like you need an education to be a nurse...don't you just change bed pans and flirt with doctors all day?

Anonymous said...

Who has time to change bedpans when there are doctors to be flirted with????????

Amanda