Thursday, September 30, 2010

Reading between the lines...another horse shopping afternoon.

Yeah, I am still looking at horses. Somehow my search took me to Ontario, where I came across this website.

http://hardyfarm.webs.com/horsesforsale.htm

We have the Kind of Cute Rimsky...who was born late, so was started as a four year old. That sounds ok...until you get further down and read about Joker who is only 2 and already started...and interestingly has Rimsky as a father.

Somewhere above Joker is a mare who is 5. They are quite proud of the fact she has already had 3 foals for them! Can you imagine Piper, Coregel or Cara pregnant and expecting?

So...if it is ok to ride Joker at 2, and breed the mare at 2, why was the first horse left until 4 to be started? Maybe I am reading too much into this, but horse shopping over the internet does seem to require a lot of reading between the lines.

I have also learnt to always click "view posters other ads". Best way to uncover a lazy scammer. Like the person with the ad for the Hanovarian gelding named Jack for $1700.00. Sounds too good to be true...because it is. A quick click of View posters other ads will show the same horse advertised in various provinces. The scam isn't even that clever in its carry through either...the person claims the horse was in what ever province you inquire about, but that the owner moved to the UK and took the horse, but is now needing to sell it, so will sell it for the cost of shipping...yeah...right.

The Friesian scammers are the worst for posting the same ad in multiple states/provinces...although at least now they are changing the horse's name for each state. It must be hard to legitimately sell a Friesian for cheap...everyone will assume it is scam! What is it about Friesians anyway that make them so popular with scammers? Why not Gypsy Vanners or some other fairy tale breed? Maybe because one Friesian is hard to tell from another? I think that is what happened with one of the Friesians I had here for training that was imported and turned out to be greener than advertised...I think the trainers in Europe just swapped one horse for another in the video...how would you ever know?

I love the trade ads where the person is asking to trade for pretty much what they are offering in trade. There is an ad on Kijiji like that; wanting to trade a APHA stud colt for a....APHA or AQHA registered broodmare, filly or COLT. It may be legit...it may be that they just want a colt that is not related to their mare, but then they should put that in their ad. The way I read it, I am just thinking something is seriously wrong with their boy and they just want to replace him with something (anything) breedable and registered.


Karen

11 comments:

Jessie said...

As far as weird/stupid ads go, this one is classic:

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-livestock-for-sale-Reliable-SAFE-Sound-Family-Youth-all-around-B-W-Paint-gelding-W0QQAdIdZ233320182

How on earth could you fall asleep while riding a horse, with a four year old, alongside a four-lane highway?

Anonymous said...

Jessie, pretty sure they mean the 4 year old girl usually falls asleep, while riding double with the older girl.

I don't know these people, so will be careful what I say, but they always have lots of horses for sale, and have for many, MANY years now, and they pretty much all seem to be kid safe and dead broke... hmmm.

Terri-Leigh

Anonymous said...

Rimsky IS super cute though.....

Amanda

Anonymous said...

Yes, that makes more sense. Still a bit strange. I also don't think it's the greatest idea to plop a very small kid on a horse with no helmet or adult right there just for a picture to sell the horse.

There's also several ads out there showing a person standing up right on the horse's back. I don't think a good seller would need such theatrics to sell what's truly a good horse.

Michelle said...

I always prefer to see the horse advertised doing what I want it to do. Like being ridden. Or jumping. Maybe on a trail ride beside a road.

I do not want to stand on my horse.
I do not want to plop an inappropriately attired toddler on my horse
I do not want to crawl under my horse
I do not want to look at my muddy horse as it stands in a field making a "you can't catch me face"

If the seller can't produce a single photo of the horse doing what I want it to do...we got problems. Well, THEY have problems. I just saved myself a trip.

Anonymous said...

http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-pets-livestock-for-sale-4-H-Prospect-or-Lesson-horse-W0QQAdIdZ233511817

On one line they say the horse is riden daily then in the next line say it's very sad to see the mare go as she is not being used.

I'm confused?

Hillside Stable said...

Re teh 4H prospect...I think they loaned her to the college and no longer see a point in owning a horse they don't ride themselves...I hope Brie's owners don't have that same epiphany!

The ad with the toddler on the horse? Sheesh! parent of the award + top grammer award. Horse is cute though.

The grammer on Kijiji is a facinating study of its own. I can pass over poor spelling of big works, or just transposing of letters...but the run on sentences and "bin" instead of "been"?

Anonymous said...

Hello Karen,

My name is Linda Crossfield and I own Hardy Farm. To answer your questions about our horses...

My website states that Joker who is actually 2 1/2 has been lightly started. This means that a 95 pound 17 year old has ridden him 5 times at a walk and trot for no more than 10 minutes at a time. He has learned to halt and turn and accept the bit. We are not cantering him around and jumping. Joker loves attention and at almost 16 hh he is a big strong bold fearless 2 1/2 year old.

On the other hand, Rimsky, his father, matured much more slowly mentally and physically. He was not ready at three to be ridden. He was still on the small side and a little afraid of everything. This is why he was not started until later ... he was not ready each young horse is different.

Dreamer, Joker's mother did get in foal very young. It was not planned. Someone left a gate open... Our vet assured us that she would be fine as she was a very big mature mare. She foaled without incident and is a wonderful broodmare and mother.

I have since been informed by a number of people(my vet being one of them) that in Europe, it is common to breed the warmblood mares at two and get one foal from them before starting their formal training. This is not a practice that I plan to take up but is interesting to note...

So there you have it ... A gate being left open, and different levels of maturity are the explaination.

I realize that your comments were ment to warn readers of internet perils and traps. I can assure you that there are no traps at Hardy Farm. All our horses are healthy, sound and loved and never pushed to do anything they are not ready for.

Anonymous said...

In Europe, Warmbloods are NOT bred at two, and not started before four. Maybe you should get a new vet!

Hillside Stable said...

Actually in Europe they do sometimes breed and start at three...but not two...normally they don't breed them until they are able to be inspected, which happens at age three.

Anonymous said...

"Fillies become sexually mature at around 18 months old, and can foal as two-year olds. However, they are still growing at this age, and pregnancy may hinder their growth."

http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/horse-breeding.shtml