Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thursday night's weather was brought to you by Gloria who took her horse's lined rain sheets home earlier this week.

Poor horses. Not impressed by the sudden change! Edgar was shivering despite his rain sheet when I brought him in. Feeding hay in gale force winds and try to carry it to the horses so they could stay out of the wind by the shelters was loads of fun too.

I was just glad the storm waited until after I came home from the vets with Dexter; this is not weather I would want to haul in!

Dexter's vet visit went ok...still trying to figure out his slight, but persistent lameness behind. He looked off to me two days ago, but when I took him in to Lana's round pen, he took one look at the plastic horse in the corner of the building and just had to show off to it, and looked too sound to be able to try blocking areas of his back like we had planned. So I suggested I try riding him for her...and he was then sounder than she had ever seen him (he felt good too). Maybe I need plastic life sized horses outside the show ring to get him to posture and show off...

So we couldn't try freezing his back, but we still tried ultra sounding parts of his spine, and x-raying his withers and as much of his thoracic vertebra as we could. Lana tried her best to explain the squiggles on the ultra sound, but I will have to take her word for it! (the ultra sounding is why he has two shaved patches). The xrays I could understand, and fortunately they showed no evidence of arthritis or kissing spine. Ultrasound of his neck section was also normal. Just showed some fill in is SI area. So we decided to inject his withers and his SI to see if that helps him out. Hopefully I am back riding him in two days!

(my head got a lot of radiation pointed at it today holding those xray plates!)

After poking Dexter with many needles (and those SI needles are HUGE), I went to get Coregel to get her wolf teeth pulled. She and Piper were happy to see me and came right over. Coregel was less impressed to be taken from Piper though...and Piper who at home doesn't care if Corey leaves, started fussing...and then the mini donkey started braying....then the other patients in the barn started banging and neighing...and poor Corey lost it! Complete warmblood baby meltdown. Had to bring Piper in to get Coregel to stand long enough to tranq her. Poor kid. Got those pesky wolf teeth out though, so when she comes home I can start preparing her for in hand classes...and she is going to have to learn to be more independent from Piper, although she had been doing quite well at home.

......

I have more boring video for those of you trying to avoid actually working today:
My first "mounting" of Stellar: 3 year old morgan filly.

Stellar is the filly that came a week ago. She has a lovely trot on the lunge, and I think she will make a fantastic dressage or breed show horse when she gets trained.

Karen

No comments: