Saturday, April 24, 2010

Mane Event Friday

I had a GREAT time at the Mane Event on Friday! I hope many of you managed to go as well.

The day started out with lots of puddles and mud, so apparently the key to rain was taking a grey horse to an event. Fortunately Tango was very patient with me as I figured out the new Anivac bathing system...which worked great once I figured it out! It uses very little water, and leaves the horse reasonably dry...and clean! Very cool. It will be available for others to use with some sort of rental fee to help pay for its maintenance, so let me know if you want to give it a try.

Natalie then met me at the barn, and we loaded Tango and headed on our way. We had one stop...to pick up the new jump standards; wow, are they BRIGHT! I am excited to start using them this week coming up and I hope they don't give the horse's too much of a shock!

We got to Red Deer to find it was sunny out, and got Tango settled in...and then went SHOPPING! That will teach Rob to not come with me... :)

Found some great deals; bought a new sheet for Tango to wear at shows, some cheap black riding gloves, a Arista light weight jacket, and the find of the year; sheep skin lined dressage pads in black and grey! I had only been able to find them in white, but white pads on a grey horse just don't look that good to me, so I was thrilled to find these...and even more thrilled to see that they are made perfectly for my saddle. One thing with my mono flap saddle is that the straps that are supposed to attach back to the billet straps are of no use...with these pads there is just a little Velcro piece that attaches back to the D-ring! Perfect! I bought the only two there.

I didn't find a bosal as I had hoped...I had no idea they were so expensive....$150 and up for just the nose piece, and about the same for the reins! Ouch!

The Tellington Jones clinic went great for Tango and I, and I will write more about that later...so much one on one attention compared to the other clinics and I felt a noticeable difference in Tango from beginning to end...and she survived the Donkey invasion!

After the clinic we met up with Clare, Laureen and Suzanne (who is doing well, although she and Quanta are still adjusting to being at a busy barn!). I also met up with Helen Interman; my Very FIRST riding instructor. She taught Clare at some point as well. She was a very good teacher as I recall. Patient and knowledgeable. She is now in Jasper.

Natalie, Clare and I then watched the jumping clinic. It was pretty good, but I was disappointed with the horse/rider combinations entered as I expected it to be more of a hunter clinic, yet the horses were for the most part NOT hunters. The clinician was very good, and stressed that the riders need to help the horse balance and use themselves, and otherwise stay out of the way of the horse. The didn't really do much jumping; mostly poles, and a line of little x rails. Both Clare and I found his voice quite soothing. He would be good at reading bed time stories!

Then it was time to load up and come home. Tired, but a very good day!

Karen

No comments: