Sunday, April 4, 2010

I hope everyone had a great Easter; one that included Easter dinner with family and some Easter chocolate. Does anyone paint and hide actual hard boiled eggs anymore?

If anyone found themselves the recipient of too much chocolate...keep me in mind!

My day started with cleaning stalls as usual, followed by a lovely ride on Tango, and then a trip to pick up more hay. I had planned to ride another horse after unloading the hay....but I made the mistake of coming back to the house to empty the hay from my underwear and decided a nap was in order.

I also had a lovely turkey dinner with my parents and my brother. My dad is doing quite well, and is able to walk about the house without his walker, and is no longer on oxygen. He still lacks an immune system so is concerned about germs and snow mold, but that is understandable...so hopefully we have a good rain to wash away the snow mold soon!

It angers me somewhat that a doctor told him he only had 1-3 months to live, and I am glad he made the decision that there is always hope and didn't just give in to that fate. How many of us allow ourselves to be held back by what someone says, or by a perceived limitation of our situation?

(oh, and the new black/bay mare in the wood pen is Ebony, she is just here for some fine tuning! She is likely a draft cross, and reminds me of Magic- Debbie's other horse).

Karen

5 comments:

Michelle said...

We paint Easter eggs! With dye made from saved onion peels. We use new spring grasses and leaves, hold them against the egg with nylons and then dunk them in the dye. They come out a lovely rich brown, with golden colour where the leaves were. We don't hide them though, we have egg wars! You have to find a good egg, and then you knock someone else's egg. The uncracked egg is the winner. We had one egg go three battles before cracking this year! It is a Swiss tradition. The eggs are hardboiled, once yours loses, you get to eat it.

I notice you are full up on mares, Karen...have I got a gelding for you! :D New one, he gets here early next week...I hope he'll be ready for the blood donating show! Let me know if you need him to balance things out at your place...I am going to try to start him my ownself at home...guess whose brother he is...

Hillside Stable said...

Oohhh! New horsey!

And a guessing game!
Guess #1: Zora
Guess #2: Brax (aka Tutor)
Guess #3: Dexter

The Egg wars sound oddly fun...the dying with old onion peels and rotten grass/leaves and grandmas old nylons sounds a little less fun...

Michelle said...

You use NEW grass and leaves! And the onion PAPERS, not the peels! They are really nice eggs, very nature-y.

#1: Zora's only known brother lives in the US
#2: Not sure on Brax.
#3: Dexter's brother is S'Argent!! Is that an invitation for me to come pick him up?? :P

--

Nope, this is SPOOKY'S brother! Yay!

Hillside Stable said...

Where in Edmonton and area do you find NEW leaves and grass at this time of year?

You found a Spooky relative?! Is it also 12 and never been ridden? If so, sign me up!

I can't wait to see pictures of him...is there a family resemblance?

Michelle said...

Family resemblance is strong...he's freakin' adorable is what he is. More white, a bigger blaze.

He's only 3 ;) Apparently he's pretty easy going.

Spooky's mom is still having babies every year. They kept her filly this year, they think it might be her last. She has two other brothers at the Clydesdale ranch that are the LEAD horses on the show hitch!