Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Still no ride times for Amberlea? Paula mustn't be the one doing it or she would have had it done by now.

Weather forecast seems to be improving. Fingers crossed that we have one dry Amberlea show. Of course it would be the one I don't have a horse at.

As an aside; beware the free horse ad. There is one floating around right now. Free horse ads make people who would otherwise not want a horse, get a horse. Or people looking for a horse, get the wrong one.

Here is the thing. The Free horse costs as much as the paid for horse. There is a good chance the free horse may need more in the way of farrier and vet up front as free horses tend to be free for a reason. And then there is the training or maintenance it likely needs...most free horses are either young, lame, or have a difficult habit.

So you are saving money with the "purchase"...but paying more to get the horse rideable...if it is ever rideable.

I am sure there are some nice free horses out there. Some track horses are given away. But I think people are less diligent in their prepurchase consideration when there is no price tag...but unless you are willing to dump a horse at auction, then that free, poorly considered horse could end up costing you thousands of dollars, heart ache, and perhaps personal well being.

Think about how much you would pay to keep yourself (or your child) safe, and if you have that money in the bank, that is what you should be prepared to spend....if you don't, you shouldn't buy a horse.

Just ask Amanda what cheap horses "cost" her.

So Beware the Free horse.

(although I wouldn't trade the time I had with my "free" horse Ziggy...although in the end, the amount Rob and I spend trying to save her likely made her our most expensive horse. I miss her.)

Karen

7 comments:

Michelle said...

I gave Spooky away for free! Haha! Ask her new owner how cost-free she is! Custom saddle and blanket people!

And Spooky is the reason for the saying "healthy as a horse" and can pretty much be abandoned in a field to subsist on tree bark and muck and STILL have dapples (guess where we learned that...)

Michelle said...

Oh man, I could write an essay on the "cheap" horse...

Perry was cheap. How sad was I when I figured out that he just wouldn't grow? I brought him along from a WEANLING!

Anonymous said...

Ride times are up, and I am not in first every day for a change! I can sleep past 4am!!! YAY!

Hmmmm, cheap horse #1 cost five figures in vet bills in less than a year, and never did get trained, not to mention the broken bones and continued physio/chiro/painful winter mornings to this day. Cheap horse #2 was the bestest horse ever, until...well.... :( That didn't turn out so well either.

Don't do it! And while you are at it, don't cheap out on a helmet either! Buy a good one that fits properly.

That's my safety tip of the day.

And did I mention I don't have to ride at 8am? :)

Amanda

Michelle said...

^ I've been trying to graduate out of Walk-Trot for four years now so that I don't have to ride at 8.

I'm jellus. D:


Further safety tips from former owners of "free/cheap" horses...don't ever decide to teach them to jump when you're alone. Jumping brings out all manner of hidden concerns...

Hillside Stable said...

Michelle, just do training level and pretend you are cantering...worked for Amanda at Edgar at the last show (he didn't want to canter through the puddles).

Michelle said...

We can canter real good, but not consistently "in frame." Plus I'm not allowed to enter Training. Something about embarrassing the barn and not acceptable to do a test with the expectation of scoring in the 50s. Made me want to pull up certain "good riders'" scores from previous shows, but that would be childish.

I sneaked into the Prix Caprilli though. Haha!

Anonymous said...

I embarrass the barn EVERY DAY! They should embrace the opportunity to have somebody willing to do it!

Amanda