Monday, August 16, 2010

I love the weather forecast. Cold and crappy tomorrow for when I have someone flying in to try horses...then a few nice days...and then cold, crappy and raining for the Amberlea show. And why wouldn't it be? Forecasters likely aren't even going by their charts and gizmos and are just looking at the Amberlea dressage show schedule.

Fortunately Amberlea makes wonderful hot chocolate complete with whipped cream.

Next year I am showing in California.

....
My dad has been doing surprisingly well with his blood counts continuing to improve and his need for transfusions decreasing steadily. The Leukemia cells are completely gone. Yippy! Still pisses me off that someone told him back in December he only had 1-3 months to live...what if he had believed them and given up?
....
It occurred to me that not everyone knows what is going on with Coregel and why she is in forced captivity (and doing well with it I must add). She has torn her collateral ligament that connects P2 and P3 (the small bones in the pastern). The ligament took some bone with it, but not enough to surgically reattach, so the hope is that if we keep it wrapped tightly and keep her from moving much it may find its way to reattach. We will re-xray in 22 days to see if it is healing. She also strained her suspensory ligaments in that leg, but that seems to have healed. The odd thing is that for the amount of damage she did, she wasn't very lame at any point...it was just the low/hard swelling that concerned be enough to finally do x-rays.

I am really not sure what the prognosis is for her if it heals or doesn't heal. I am just taking it one step at a time and trying to keep her from going crazy.

Karen

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Poor Coregel...

Awesome news about your Dad! That's really wonderful, and what a happy update in time for the next Ride for Red show!

If you know a farrier who will come to Amberlea on a Saturday to do shoes on a nice gelding, please let me know...my new guy needs some shoes for the rugged Fort McMurray asphalt.

Hillside Stable said...

I am having trouble finding ANY farriers right now...will ask the one I have coming out tomorrow if he would do it...only Sat and not Sunday?

Michelle said...

Sunday would be okay, but we are in the Prix Caprilli, so I would like to have it done before that. My new guy paced himself a bit short the first few days he was home. Now he is too busy fawning over Zora to pace. What is WITH her and Spooky?