Sunday, October 4, 2009

Well Sunday of the show was again cold...but this time it was also wet! Yippy. Footing was good in the dressage ring, but a few horses slipped in the jumpers. I don't think it was so much a problem with the footing as a problem with the riders not riding for the conditions. I felt extra sorry for the horses in tight standing martingales who couldn't use their necks to balance.

The Hillside team wasn't as stellar as yesterday; Fancy and Sara were tired (but were reserve champion of the 2'9" division!), Ri was good, but I think he was getting tired/frazzled too, as just before Amanda's second last class he decided her jacket was a harbinger of death to be spooked at. Whisper had good moments punctuated by anxiety...but still much better than last year.

I kept myself warm by looking after the gate for the dressage ring when I was free...for some reason I like looking after the in gate and helping the riders know where they are at and keeping things running smoothly.

I have also learned that getting out and helping, even in an unofficial capacity, is appreciated and is as good advertising/networking as anything; people get to know who you are and feel like they can approach you when you are helping out.

And now a trip down memory lane....When I was a teenager I knew that deep down I wanted a career with horses, although I really didn't see how it would be possible, as I didn't want to muck stalls or groom for the rest of my life...and all the trainers I knew got their start from parents in the business of through independent wealth. That didn't stop me from still working hard towards this apparently unattainable goal; I groomed for kids with their own horses (sometimes for pay, sometimes for lunch, and sometimes just for a sharing of knowledge), I assisted with lessons, and I hung out helping when I could. Eventually I became the official groom to a trainer, and teaching, but still cleaned stalls, volunteering to help on Holidays if needed. I figured the more things I did, not only the more money I would make, but the more doors I might open. At shows I didn't just help my trainers, but I also helped other trainers if needed by holding horses, setting jumps if I was standing there anyway and so on. Sometimes the pompousness of the people I worked for would wear off on me, but for the most part I tried to stay true to myself.

I think this is why I felt welcomed by the trainers from "the good old days" even though I am not at the jumping shows much anymore, and I think my past actions, from back before I ever saw Hillside as a possibility, are carrying me in good stead now.

That doesn't mean I was or am nice to everyone though...sometimes picking your enemies wisely is also important; knowing what or who you stand against can help define you, and can help motivate. I cannot watch cruelty idly, or poor ethics.

I like this better than how it was with my old trainers. I like that I feel a mutual respect with the trainers i know and respect from the old days. I like that I don't feel it is an "us against them" thing, and that I can go to them for advice or trust them not to steal clients....it definitely wasn't like that at the barn I used to be at! I am happy having Hillside be a farm team for bigger barns if I have students that wish to move on and be more focused on showing and do bigger and better things, and I think it would be good for the industry if barns worked together to help clients be with a program that best suites them; either depending on their focus or depending on the teaching style & system.

Karen

No comments: