Thursday, October 1, 2009

It is hard to believe that one week ago we were posting temperatures in the low 30's!

The leaves have now given up trying to stay green, and the grass is also going brown and dormant. Fall is here and winter fast approaching.

For me it means the barn is starting to fill up, so more time spend on morning chores. Last night I had 6 horses in the barn, and starting tonight there will be 7, with the remaining two horses coming in later on. Six horses is the magic number though...six stalls worth of manure will always fit in the Mule, and six stalls use one bag of shavings. Adding that seventh horse adds the challenge...can I fit it in the Mule or must I do a second trip? Once horse 8 and 9 come in, then it is easy...I just know to plan on two loads.

Dexter is by far the messiest horse in the barn...which sucks as he is MY horse, so I am not making money cleaning up after him...but I do want him in the barn so I can keep him fit and work on second level moves. Plus, he is going to be a once a week lesson horse for the winter to earn his keep.

Quanta is by far the tidiest horse, although that claim will shift to Sailor as soon as he comes. Maybe Sailor can teach Ri to be tidier as he taught Kokannee last year...

Karen

No comments: