Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Arab Empowerment Secret

I don't care that it is only a few degrees below zero...it is freaking cold out! This morning was particularly bad as it was warm enough that the snow was melting on their backs , and then the wind picked up. Poor Beamer seemed cold even after finishing his morning hay so I decided to bring him in first for training. Once in the barn I dried him off and decided it was a good day to try him out in his arab practice costume; basically a cooler that hangs to his knees and has an angled sequined strap to go around his hindquarters...and his full name spelt out in glitter. I figured his outfit would help him to dry and be warmup up quickly.

It took me a bit to figure out if it should go over or under the saddle, so I opted for over the saddle pad and under the saddle.

He lunged well in, so I got on...and he was brilliant! Suddenly straight lines and 20 meter circles at trot were possible! And what a trot...he is a powerful mover. But then...he cantered! Right lead first, and it felt good so we tried for left and he managed to that too. Pretty good for his fifth ride.

Maybe if Michelle sends me tassels for his reins he can learn to stretch out his neck a bit and do lead changes...he just wanted to be recognized as the beautiful arabian he is.

By the time we were done riding, and he had eaten his krunchies, he was all nice and dry, so it seemed a shame to send him back out into the snow and wind, so I decided to put a rain sheet on him, so I looked for a sheet to fit...guess whose fit? Bugsy's old rain sheet...13.1 hand pony mare's rain sheet fit 15.1+ hand arab gelding. He is one compact horse.

Pilgrim is going to have to lope tomorrow to catch up to Beamer...he won't want to fall behind the young whippersnapper!

Karen

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Yay Beamer! Isn't he fun to watch trot...I bet the glitter was key. I have tassels AND coins. He is going to be spectacular once I finally put the costume together!

If Bugsy's sheet looks nice on him, and might be for sale, I may have to purchase it. Beamer's old one is too small and is of suspect waterproofing.

Hillside Stable said...

Bugsy's blanket is taped together with duct tape...so not sure I would say it looks nice on him!

It is just a fleece lined rain sheet.

Karen