Friday, October 2, 2009

First rides

It is interesting when I get on a horse for its first time. There are a few typical reactions; the fearful horse tends to stand stock still with its head wither height...the back feels like a stiff board and it is as though the horse is afraid to breath...this is the horse that is the most likely to buck so I usually just sit there until the horse takes a deep breath. The super bratty/social horse tends to turn its head side to side and back up trying to figure out where I have gone and how to get to the cookie pocket. The smart horse sits for a moment finding its balance, notices I am not standing there to tell it what to do, and then heads straight for the outgate. Then there is Beamer. Beamer waits until I am on, then heads off to the far end of the arena to explore the big door and the scary man door. Then he takes us over to the corner, down the track, stop to poop, then over a yellow pole that was frightenning yesterday, back to the far door, then back to the other end to the out gate, then over to eat some weeds...all the while keeping a nice forward walk with absolutely no loss of balance or hesitation....which considering how refined he is, amazed me! He felt like a horse that had been ridden for years and it was hard to want to get off...it was kind of fun to see where he was going to take us next!
....
It was odd hauling to a show and setting up stalls without having a horse of my own to show...but at the same time I am glad I didn't take Dexter...showing at 7pm outside just doesn't sound like fun to me. Hopefully the snow misses us until after the show. We need the moisture, just not while showing outside! I like showing at Amberlea though; familiar, well organized and friendly.

Hopefully tomorrow goes well!

Karen

No comments: