Saturday, August 8, 2009

White Stallions

Amanda took me to see the Lippizzaners today! We saw Tamara down in the floor seats...I want to ask her what the foot was for it, as it appeared to just be carpeted pads over cement! I didn't see Anna is the Wheel Chair section though, or anyone else we knew.

The horses were neat to watch, and the riders were obviously very skilled, with very good seats. The head rider "Andrew" was impressive too. Our plans to kidnap (mannap?) him, were thwarted though... Anyway...I appreciated how he dealt with his horse misbehaving in the ring; rather than let it bother him when the horse broke to canter rather than extend the trot, he quietly circled and tried again. He was also quick to pet the horse once it had done well.

I liked the sparkly hair net thingies the girls wore. I think they would go over well in the dressage ring.

They did the airs above the ground this time, and although the horses weren't consistent on them, they did perform impressively. Sitting the Capriole looks like it would require a lot of balance!

Not all the horse's were Lippizzaners though, there was at least one Andalusian, so I am not sure why they call it the Lippizzaner show. The Andalusian had a very impressive mane. I also liked the fat flag bearer stallion.

I wonder if these horses just live on the road, or if they have places they get to take breaks at?

Karen

3 comments:

Michelle said...

They stopped for a break at Amberlea Meadows! They were only there for about 8 hours, a quick rest then on to Calgary. I was staying in my trailer for the Summer Heat show and it was quite a production when they arrived around 1130pm!

Barb and Brittany Rose said...

I too was impressed with the head rider "Andrew"....not only for his good looks but I also liked the way he would correct an error quietly and patiently and then openly reward with pats for a job well done..... if I had known you guys were there, maybe we could have managed to steal him.....

Hillside Stable said...

I talked to Tamara who was in the front row: the footing was pressed matts of paper fibre! With masking tape to hold it together. Over concrete...how on earth do those horses stay sound?

It is good to know the horses get out for some rest. It must be an odd life for the horses and the riders.