Thursday, June 16, 2011

Phone etiquette

When I was young, I recall being taught something about when it was ok to call, and when it wasn't. Basic things, like don't call during dinner time, don't call after 9:30 pm, and don't call before 9:30 am on weekends, or before 8:00 am during the week. In my world, if you call outside those times,, either you know my schedule well enough to know I should be available, something urgent has come up, or there is a family emergency.

Yes, I am up and in the barn by about 7am every day, but that doesn't mean I want to talk to anyone before 8am. I like to get the horses out and fed before dealing with humans, and the horses seem to appreciate being a priority. When I had a day job, early morning calls disrupted my getting ready schedule, which was timed so that I could maximize my time in bed.

And of course I am up past 9:30 most days, but it still gets my heart racing if I get a call from an unfamiliar number after 9:30...right away my brain figures someone is in the hospital or in a ditch.

So getting a call at 10:48 last night to talk about a horse someone had for sale...well, it was really hard to be polite...although I think I managed it....better than when I got a call at 6:30 in the morning to discuss the possibility of taking on a new student.

Am I out of date? Is phone etiquette out the window? Should I be attainable 24/7?

My favourite was a former employee texting me at 6:45 in the morning to confirm she was going to be in that day so I could have the morning off as pre-arranged. So much for finally being able to sleep in....

Of course as much as my phone annoys me, I do have a minor panic attack if I realize I do not have it with me. I managed to survive close to 20 years without a cell phone, but now I don't want to drive to the mail box without it.

Maybe I just need a happier ring tone...

Karen

No comments: