Friday, October 22, 2010

Too quiet in the house...

We put Mike down today at 4pm; at the same time the sun made its brief appearance. The vet came out to our farm, so his last sights and smells were of the Farm.

Earlier in the day we took Mike and Ginger to Katie's Crossing to smell the smells and to dine on forbidden treats like vinegar soaked French Fries and Onion rings. I think the food and a squirrel were the highlights for the dogs.

Mike definitely still found enjoyment in his day which made the decision that much harder. How do you know you have made the right decision when it comes to something so final?

It tore me up to see Mike struggling to breath and stumbling on his disobedient hind legs. I wanted him to go with some dignity and to have both Rob and I there with him. But it is still hard to think of him being gone. I am so used to listening for him, waiting for him, and looking out for him. I feel a little lost.

Sleep well Mikey. You are missed.

Karen

4 comments:

Jessie said...

I'm sorry :( He's such a nice dog and he was lucky to have been adopted by you.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry Karen, it's so hard when they've been a part of your lives for so long. I'm glad that you had a nice last day with him, and also that you made the right choice for him. So often people keep animals around far longer than they should, at the pet's obvious discomfort and pain, and it's just cruel, so kudos to you for trying lots of things, but making the right choice when it came down to it. RIP Mike and hugs to you...

Terri-Leigh

Michelle said...

I'm sorry Karen, Mike was a great dog. It sounds like he had a dog's perfect last day.

Lindsey M. said...

I am so sorry Karen, Mike was a wonderful friend. I know there will never be another one like him.