Monday, August 15, 2011

Life and Times

The Edmonton Journal featured dad in its Life and Times section today. They also ran his obituary as he wrote it last week. It was very long so we thought they would edit it, but can't find anything missing. He wrote his obit the day before he died. Can you imagine writing your own obituary? He also specified he wanted to be cremated with no funeral, just a memorial, which is being held on September 30 at the Uof A faculty club.

Mom is doing well. Kept busy returning her house to a semblance of order after my sister and her young kids left, reading cards and emails, and just trying to find her balance. Rob and I went over yesterday so Rob could do some minor house repairs and we had supper. It was odd being in the house without dad.

Prior to that Rob and I went to Seba Beach so I could learn the basics of sailing. I was surprised to realize I actually really like it, although figuring out how the sails should be set is far from intuitive for me, so my neck is sore for looking at the sails and strings! The instructor showed us the basic positions of the sails, how to tack and jibe, and we practiced some "man overboard" stuff where we dropped and come around to retrieve a life jacket. I was not so good at the retrieval part. I think if anyone was counting on my to hook them they would be at grave risk of being stabbed with the hook.

Karen

1 comment:

Pauline said...

Hey Karen,

Mari sent me the article about your Dad in the Journal. I'm sorry to hear that he's died. I only remember a little bit about him, because I was too shy to actually talk to him directly, but he made a huge impression on me. I thought he was so neat; the first real-life, working scientist I'd ever met.

I'm sorry that it'd have to be this that spurred me to look you up after all these years! I am thrilled that you have your own barn!