Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Joseph S. Nelson. April 12, 1937 - August 9, 2011.

Father, Grandfather, husband, professor, researcher, and third degree black belt karate instructor.

He taught me to think, to question, and to look out at the world with never-ending curiosity. He is gone in flesh, but not in spirit. Every time I look at something with curiosity, or impart some obscure bit of trivia, that is my dad.

I am grateful to my mom who had the strength to look after him in his final months and days, so he could live and die at home as he wanted. She was the last face he saw, and the last voice he heard, just as he wanted.

I am also thankful to all the doctors, nurses and support staff at the UofA and home care who gave him almost a year and a half of living after his initial three month prognosis, and did it with compassion and dignity. As well as to Dynalife and Canadian Blood Services whose support was also integral in maintaining his well being. And of course to all those who donated blood and plasma.

I will be teaching jumping lessons at 5:30 and 6:30 tonight.

Karen

7 comments:

Laureen said...

Our deepest sympathy to you and all of your family.

Paula Meehan said...

Karen,

my condolences to you and your family. It is always hard to lose a parent.

Paula Meehan said...

Karen,

my condolences to you and your family. It is always hard to lose a parent.

Jessie said...

I am very sorry to hear about your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

I know your dad will be missed by many in the Biology department. I went to a few seminars he gave and he was a great lecturer and obviously had a passion for his work.

Michelle said...

So sorry Karen, that was a lovely tribute.

Anonymous said...

So so so so sorry Karen! It sounds like he passed with the dignity he lived with, and I hope your family can find strength in the memories you have of him.

Amanda

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Karen. I hope you and your family are holding up okay... I'm glad you guys got some extra time with him (over his initial prognosis), but I'm sure it still wasn't nearly long enough!

Take care,
Terri-Leigh