Friday, April 29, 2011

!

Friday was eventful. In the morning I saw Sailor and Tucker off to their summer homes, dewormed some less than thrilled horses and rode a bit. After chores I went to look at a horse that kind of looked like what you would get if you crossed Zander with Jezz, and then bonked the baby in the head as a foal. I actually kind of liked him though; super sweet, so will go back another day to see him ridden and get on him. Then I headed over for the theory portion of the Karen Robinson Freestyle clinic. It was a fun and informative evening. Karen is great to listen to with a very engaging conversational style. It was a little eerie how much she reminded me of black Java's "mom" in her mannerisms and way of speaking.

The evening ran a little later than planned, and it was about 10 pm when I got home to feed and let Ginger out of the barn. As I headed back out to get the Mule to feed hay, I noticed a black shadow by the hay shed that didn't really make sense. Nothing was there to cast such a big shadow, and the blog was too round to be a dog, and to big to be a cat. Ginger and Rolo were both heading to the shadow ahead of me....fortunately Ginger triggered the motion sensor light and I could then discern it was in fact a PORCUPINE! Where on earth did a porcupine come from, and why is it by the hay shed!

So of course I call Rob, waking him up. Because there is so much he can do 500 km away... He reminded me they are slow, non-aggressive creatures...just keep the critters away from it, and to not try to touch it. He suggested the lights and sounds of the Mule would scare it off, and sure enough it lumbered between the hay shed and grainery when I drove up (after locking Ginger and Charlie in the barn). However as I was putting the first bale of hay in the Mule, the darn thing came back out and was waiting for me near the entrance of the hay shed! Logical or not, I was imagining being attacked by a rabid, quill throwing pin cushion and wondered if the horses really needed hay after all....fortunately he lumbered back into his hiding space and I was able to get the horses fed.

Surprisingly when I let Ginger out of the barn she didn't even go to check out the intruder...perhaps she DID learn her lesson after the 5th trip to the vets to get quills removed all those years ago...

Of course now I am worried it will wander into Dexter and crew's pen....because none of them are known for sticking their nose where it doesn't belong...something to look forward to in the morning!

I made sure the four cats and one dog are safely accounted for and in the house or barn.

So...if anyone has any porcupine relocation tips, please fire them my way!

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you horribly opposed to shooting it? Because honestly, if one decided to use my place as it's new home base, that's probably what would end up happening to it...

Terri-Leigh