Tuesday, October 16, 2012

We're back!

Not particularly thrilled about it...but Rob and I are back from vacation!

It was nice to get away for a few days. The weather could have been better, but the Island was desperate for rain, so we took some solace in that.

We stayed at the Ocean Front Suites in Cowichan Bay and I would both love to go back, and recommend it to others as a nice place to stay! The hotel was meant to be condos, but with the shut down of the lumber mills and most of the fisheries, the economy just could not support it, so they are now hotel suites...which meant we had a complete kitchen and living room which was definitely nice! The view of the marina from our the bedroom and living room didn't hurt either. It was entertaining to be woken up by the funny sounds the gulls make, and to be able to watch the boats bobbing in the ocean from bed.

The rainy weather didn't stop us from going out on a boat to tour the bays, and we had a good time with Night Hawk Tours and the sun even came out for part of the trip. The ship captain seemed surprise and a little reluctant to go out given the wind warnings and rain, and his call to his wife "yes, they still want to go out in this weather..." didn't fill me with the greatest of confidence, but the trip was nice, and the Cowichan and Maple bays are lovely, as are many of the ocean front houses!

We also were able to have dinner with my Aunt, Uncle and cousin who live in Victoria/Saanich. I last saw my Aunt/Uncle at dad's funeral, but I hadn't seen my cousin in about 30 years, so that was interesting! Had a great time, and really noticed some changes to the island; number one was the deer fence everywhere; apparently the island is over run with deer, and if you want a garden you have to have really good fencing.

Aside from that we spent much time walking through marinas, some time in the spas, and had many good meals that inspired me to do more cooking this winter (baby shrimp on an English muffin, covered in a light layer of cheese and Hollendais  sauce...YUM).

We got back around dinner time last night, and it wasn't clear if Ginger wanted to come home or stay at Rob's parents house...I am thinking she was doted on! Once home I went to visit the horses, and got a good talking to from Charlie...did nobody pet him while I was away? Seriously needy cat last night and again while trying to do stalls! Also noticed Kitten grew up over the weekend...I have to stop calling her kitten!

The barn looks great and very clean! Thanks to all who helped look after the horses and who surprise me with the extra clean tack room and entrance way....perhaps I need to go away more often!

I am trying my best to get back into work mode, but it isn't easy...hopefully I will find some inspiration by lessons tonight!

Karen

No comments: