Thursday, October 4, 2012

finally!

I was finally able to go see Zander's sister today. It was going to be a rushed visit, but the owner was ok with that, and I talked to her about having her tacked up and ready for my arrival...but instead she was unbrushed in a stall and not tacked.

She is absolutely beautiful! However she was shorter than her 5'1" seller...maybe 5'2" with her boots on, so not a chance she was 15.3 hands which was disappointing. But wide enough that I thought maybe...So running out of time we put tack on her, but it was like Goldilocks and the three bears for the seller to find a girth to fit her, then they went to put the thinnest snaffle possible in her mouth...ouch!

So I lead her into the ring, and right away she notices a plastic bag in the middle of the ring and starts to set back a bit..so the seller moves the bag out of site, but mare just kept staring at the far end with a shell shocked expression. By this point I was doubting her suitability, but still decided to try riding...and then found this horse does NOT stand to be mounted. Like at all. Apparently they school it by backing her the length of the arena and jerking down on her bit. Made me sad.

Despite how lovely she was, I didn't bother even getting on. Glad I went to see her, but sad she didn't look like she would work out given her lack of height, and quirks. She would make a good horse for an agile kid who has the time to find out why she doesn't want to be mounted (thinking saddle fit?), so hopefully she finds a good home.

From there, it was a rush to get on the other side of the highway...to pick up Lindsay's new horse! The new horse is a chubby bay mare with a very good blaze. The seller had to leave about 5 minutes after we got there, so we had to load by ourselves...which took a while! I think she is just used to sitting in her field and was just fine with that lifestyle. Her donkey neighbour brayed sadly as we worked to load maresy into the trailer. Kind mare, but she acts like she is expecting to be smacked every time we moved.

Before you ask, she does not have a name. And I don't mean Lindsay just hasn't come up with a name she prefers, I mean this horse has never had a name. Not registered, and they just referred to her as the bay mare. Kind of sad, but I am sure Lindsay with her naming skills will come up with something soon!

Karen

No comments: