Monday, June 25, 2012

News from the barn:

Tiny black kitten is officially on the missing kitten list. Neither her owners nor anyone at the barn has seen her since Thursday. I am guessing the fox made her aquantance, but I hope that she just ended up in someone's yard and found better cat food.

Horse show on Saturday went ok I guess. Roxy and Miranda placed second in a decently sized class, and Roxy was extremely good for her first show! The footing was very deep, which proved to be a struggle for our horses (and even for me when I went to help set jumps!). The courses were better than last year, with only one crazy hair pin turn. Frustratingly, it was once again just Hillside in the higher divisions...no fun going to a show only to compete against yourself.

This makes me wonder if I should be considering holding another "Ride for Red" jumper show....thinking in August. Thoughts?

For lessons this week, we will be working on some position issues using instruments of torture....AKA bailing twine attatched to stirrups and/or tensor bandages to remind to keep elbows in. The tensor banadage reminder is one I have been using on myself, as I have a habit of sticking my left elbow out when my left side starts to get stiff (often from left leg getting tired). The tensor isn't enough to actually hold the arm in, but it works to make the rider THINK about what their body part is doing so they can self correct. It works best on sunburnt arms.

For jumping...I am hoping to build a kick ass course outside using many jumps so that Rob can mow the grass where I store the jumps, but we will see what the weather says. May build a good course outside, and if inside doing something more simple.

Also want to start working out the Summer Schedule with more day time lessons. Would like to teach in the day as much as possible for students that can make it, but only if it means I can cut out some evening times.

Karen

1 comment:

Hillside Stable said...

Kitten came back! Came wandering out of the grass in time to spook Zander. A very hungry, but healthy little kitten!