Tuesday, June 19, 2012

First level test 2

Izzy & I practicing first level test 2.

I would like to show her at this test at our next show. I think adding more elements of difficulty will help me keep her focus. Or, like in this video, the exciting, spooky thing could wait to happen for our free walk (in this case it was the geldings booting it to the front from out back).

I thought videoing it may help with rider's that wish to learn it, however my fence post fails completely when it comes to following the test so hard to see what goes on in the corners. It also fails at zooming in, so hard to see details. Also please note I rode the test backwards so that A was at the far end and C at the near end. This made sense to me for some reason.

If you watch the video, this is what you should see:
1) My halt starts on centerline, but then I allow Izzy to step out and to her right. She did this at the show as well, so is something I need to work on and is a result of her not carrying her weight evenly on both hinds (stops with her left, then steps out and over with her right) and not carrying even contact with my hands.
2) We proceed and then are supposed to be lengthening across the diagonal. We do not get much lengthen and this would not score well. A lengthened trot isn't just supposed to be more active, the horse is supposed to get LONGER and a tad lower in the neck, and push from behind. I do not get that in this movement.
3) Then a nice trot down the side to R, where I am supposed to be doing a 10 meter half circle. I made the half circle too small, so did not get to the centerline. I then travel to X, and then leg yield to the wall. Because I am not on centerline I have further to go. Fortunately Izzy can do it, but getting to centerline isn't rocket science and being precise is easy points gained, so I obviously need to practice this.
4) Canter transition at A. It is ok. Precise, but she flings her head up and I lean forward so not seemless. Then we do a 15 meter circle at P, followed by a lengthened canter. Our circle is ok, but our lengthened canter isn't longer as much as quicker. Still, would likely score ok. I have the corner to come back to working canter, then across the diagonal, and trot at X.
5) Next we walk at A, then freewalk loop. We just start to get some stretch when she hears the boys galloping up and I lose her focus. Still, we maintain the path, and she doesn't break from the walk, so good practice for us. Gather reins in the corner, trot at C.
6) Stretch circle is at R...again, not stretching down, and still paying too much attention to what the geldings were running from.
7) At P I am again supposed to be doing a half circle, but get too small with it so don't get to the center line, so again at X we have further to go than we should with the leg yield.
8) after the leg yield comes the canter with the 15 meter circle at R, then our lengthen. The trot is again at X, and then we go for another lengthen across the diagonal before coming up centerline and halting. I am happier with this lengthen as she shows some increased reach, and our halt at centerline is straighter.

I hope to be able to do another video in a few weeks and show some improvement!

No comments: