Sunday, July 17, 2011

@$&!*@($

What would you do, if you heard someone screaming? Screaming loudly at you to please stop what you were doing? If you were our neighbours to the west, you would turn off your movie, and go outside to investigate. If you are our neighbours to the south you continue to flaunt the law and endanger others in the pursuit of having fun....

The evening started with Rob and I getting home from dinner just before 9pm. I was exhausted and would have just done night feed and gone to bed, but Lindsey was in the barn bathing Java to get ready for her 4H show. I missed hearing her truck leave, and for once I am glad she was out late, and that I procrastinated.


I headed out just before 10pm and noticed fireworks going off to the south. The horses were alert, but not overly bothered by the sputtering initial attempts to light up the sky. The geldings came galloping up from the back, and the rest kept their eyes on the south sky between bites of hay.


But then they set off some crazy ass sounding whistling sparkler things...and that was it. The fillies completely LOST it. I called Rob to come out and started SCREAMING for our neighbours to knock off the fireworks. Piper in particular wanted OUT of there and was ramming the gate and I think would have considered jumping if I (and soon Rob) had not been on the other side. Once Rob was there to keep them from jumping out and rushing the fence I ran to the top of the hill to once again scream at them to stop. But apparently they HAD heard me...as I heard back "Deal with it Karen, it is a Birthday Party" .





WTF?





Deal with it?





Four young horses are blindly panicking and in imminent danger, and she wants me to "deal with it"?

Not that she knew what the issue was; they can't see up and over our hill. For all they knew a horse was trapped in the fence/gate, running while injured, or a person had been hurt while handling their horse when the fireworks started.

But that didn't matter. All that mattered was that they and their guests got to watch and listen to those fireworks.

Stuff like that pisses me off and frightens me. I am SO glad Lindsey's late night at the barn meant that I was out when the loud fireworks went off; who knows what would have happened if Rob and I had not been out there to keep them from rushing through or over the gate and fence. Can you imagine if they HAD gotten out? Four young horses, one with a previous injury, running in blind panic?

The ignorance and disregard for our safety and well being still shocks me.

But at least I know the neighbours to the west can be counted on to come check on things if they hear screaming.

Karen

5 comments:

Christine said...

Ew some people are so stupid, to bad stupidity isn't a crime, then you could have reported them.

Barb Rose said...

OMG you would think they would have at least (knowing you have horses)come and warned you that they would be having fireworks and asked if that would be a problem. Some people have no common sense!

Laureen said...

That is awful! So glad all the animals and humans were unhurt but shocked by the total disregard your neighbours have shown.

Michelle said...

Must be a full moon...there was a solid hour of rifle fire here last night. I kept asking THomas if we should call the police, he said no...but after every set of shots I poked my head outside to make sure the horses were still standing.

It's not even hunting season! GOD!

My horses seemed interested in the noise and were alertly looking over the fence in the direction of the noise. See, all that gaudy orange tack is NECESSARY! Warrior has no idea that you are supposed to run AWAY from guns!

Anyway, your neighbor sounds like a jerk. It's one thing to be annoyed if what they were doing were legal...but it is AGAINST THE LAW and disruptive. Like the loose dogs that attack cats and leashed dogs around here "deal with it, it's the country"...NO! Leash law!

Hillside Stable said...

Sadly by the time by-law inforcement were out the fireworks were over, so I am guessing they just got a warning. They apparently thought the entire thing was hilarous...or at least the wife did.