Monday, December 20, 2010

Finally a Christmas party when it isn't 30 below out! Thank you to everyone who came, and I hope that all of you who spent the day at home sick are feeling better soon.

Miranda won the match the poopy stall contest, and we had a three way tie for the "which horse is this" contest where I took close up shots of certain distinctive parts of horses and had people try to match it with the horse. Three people got 7 out of ten, with Kelsey winning in a draw. (Clare and Joan were the other two top finishers I think). I still have the poster in the barn if anyone else wants to see if they can make a guess.

We might need a bigger barn for next year's party!

Yesterday I spent the day judging an in barn show at Cholchester. They had a variety of classes including dressage, hunter, western, english, command class, and showmanship. It was a long day with the judged classes going from 9 to 4:40, but we managed to stay close to on time.

Judging dressage was harder than I expected, particularly in a small ring, as the different moves happen so quickly that it is hard to find time to make a comment on one move, while still watching/judging the next move. The first level tests were the worst as they way they have some of the scoring isn't even in the same order as the movement; The rider has to do a free walk a short diagonal, then turn fairly sharply and do a medium walk across the next short diagonal....yet the score card has you mark the free walk, then the medium walk, THEN the transition between the two...which is followed right away by a score for a trot and canter transition, and then another score for a canter circle...comes up way to quickly! Thank goodness my scribe was on the ball.

I am surprised to find though, that I am SORE from judging! How pathetic is that? Standing for that long or sitting on a hard bleacher is apparently harder than cleaning stalls and riding all day. if I judge jumping there again, I must remember a seat cushion!

Karen

No comments: