Thursday, December 9, 2010

Brie

Had some fun trying something new with Brie today.

It was harder than I thought; Brie was good, but perhaps I should have started out by practicing flatwork without a bridle before attempting to jump without one. The tricky part was knowing what to do with my hands; when I would pull left, the neck rope would slide left and I didn't know what to do with my right hand and vice versa. The other tricky part was steering with leg but not having her interpret that as an invitation to go forward.

She is a super fun mare who tolerates my foibles well. Hopefully we can find her a great home that appreciates her and will treat her in the manner to which she deserves!

Karen

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm kind of laughing, but also amazed and impressed you went so big, so soon on the bridleless thing! You're definitely brave, and Brie looks like a nice mare - wonder what she thought about the whole thing? Even when riding more off seat and leg aids, can you imagine how the neck rope would work better for a horse that neck reins though?

Terri-Leigh

Hillside Stable said...

It would be interesting to see if the neck rope did work for a horse that neck reins...it does sit lower than the reins would...give it a try on your mare! (you can leave the jumping part out though...)

Anonymous said...

They still seem to respond to it very similarly. I've ridden Cheyanne with a piece of baling twine as a neck rope, and she was super responsive. If I come out there for a lesson or something again, we should do an experiment :o)

T