Tuesday, September 27, 2011

WELCA

I am sure a few of you have seen the "WELCA" billboard, or even the TV ads being run, with no apparent agenda. Their programs are full with a waiting list (according to their information, there is a 2 year waiting list for regular lessons, and I am sure the disabled riding is also in high demand), so why advertise?

Then Rob sent me this link:

They are running a TV and billboard advertising campaign to create public awareness about the facility...so that they can then ask for money to rebuild it.

I learned to ride at Whitemud, and it wouldn't be far fetched to say I grew up there. Our house was a 7 minute drive, 15 minute bus ride, 20 minute bike ride, and 1 hour walk away from the barn, so it was easy to find my way there when I had spare time.

I don't know how it is now, but back then there were a bunch of kids that would hang out, helping with lessons, or creating jumping courses for us to jump (without the horses), or just plain being annoying to the office staff. Rich kids and not so rich kids bonded by their love of horses all hanging out and having a good, healthy time. I am sure my childhood would have been very different had there not been a Whitemud Equine Center.

Even back then the facility was falling apart. I can remember getting off the horse to have frozen toes hit the hard dirt...rushing to get the bridle off so I could stand in the warmth of the tackroom. Or trying to hear the instructor while rain pounded on the tin roof. Or waiting for the snow to slide off the tin and the horses to all bolt from the sound. Or sweeping the flood waters out of the barn alley.

Good times.

So I fully support Whitemud being rebuilt. I agree that their plans to have two indoor arenas, classrooms, stalls, an office, and handicapped friendly washrooms. I agree that it should be heated and all wheel chair accessible.

What I DON'T get, is their proposed budget.

Yes, they will need to do some landscaping, and eventually tear down the old facility (I am assuming they are smart enough not to build at the bottom of the hill like the old one was built...hard to not be flooded in the spring!), and I am sure they will want to build it to last, so with steel. But, they don't have to pay for the land (it is city owned, and leased to the facility), so a big savings there.

So, what do you think is a reasonable number to build up a functional facility? 2 million, maybe 3? Maybe 4 million if they are also going to rebuild the show grounds.

But what are they after? 15 MILLION dollars. Most of that government money...according to the news article, the organization only needs to raise 4 million dollars, and the rest will come in the way of grants.

$15,000,000.00

Are the stalls going to be made of gold?

Or is it that they are paying out big wages to the committees? Or did they not properly tender out the project?

If they want me to support their fund raising, I want to see their numbers; where the money is going and how it is going to be used.

After all, the only service that they offer that I can see should be subsidized IS the disabled riding. The other services; lessons and board, should be ran for profit just like the other boarding stables...and their rates certainly are comparable to other area barns.

So, if anyone gets information on what exactly is going on with "WELCA" and their plans to rebuild, let me know...I would like to get behind them, but not if they are just throwing tax payer money away...or syphoning it for their own benefit.

Karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope they have changed since I was last there. I had a gift certificate given to me for ridding lessons. It took 3 months to get lessons and only after I wrote an angry letter stating my frustration with the fact that they wouldn't honor the gift certificate. I kept being told they were full and to call back later. When I did go for lessons, the instructor and another border talked about how bad the management is and how they hated everything there.

Needless to say I did not stay past the amount the gift certificate enitiled me too.