Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Horse Swap

Not so Little Piper went to her new home yesterday. Her new owner has considerable experience training horses and working with cocky mares, so I am sure the two of them will do great together! Piper seemed destined for the jumper ring or even eventing, so keeping her as a dressage horse didn't make sense...and it was time for Coregel to say good bye to her sister.

The offer on her came at a good time; I was finding it harder and harder to think of parting with her as she IS a lovely mare...just hard to justify having the two three year olds when we really need a horse to replace Tango.

Coregel on the other hand thinks that Piper must have been eaten or swept up by a Tornado and is completely beside herself. Good thing today was not only windy, but also her farrier day....fortunately both horse and farrier survived unscathed, and Coregel seemed to settle a bit when I put her out on grass beside Tango.

With Piper gone I will have more time to spend with Corgel and plan to start her back under saddle as soon as she seems over her anxiety attack.

In trade for Piper came Gode. I pronounce it Godey, but his former owner called him Gawdy, so take your pick.

Don't worry Joan, he IS a chestnut, so the balance has not been disrupted.

Gode is here to replace Tango who is off indefinitely with her suspected Impar ligament issue. She will get the winter off to recover and we will see how she is come spring. Hopefully Gode isn't as opinionated, spooky, or as likely to pee while trotting as Tango is....

It will be a while until he will be available for lessons as he is coming back from some time off and needs to be reconditioned. He currently resembles one of the big puffy leather coaches that you can buy at Abercrombie and Fitch. I haven't ridden him yet, but plan to get on him tomorrow for the first time.

Gode is 6 years old, likely a bit over 16 hands, liver chestnut, and a Selle Francais, Hanovarian cross. He has competed (lightly due to his age) in hunters, jumpers and dressage. I/we are very lucky to have the opportunity to get such a nice horse to add to our programs, so thank you to Linsdey at LRM Equine Services for making it possible!

Hopefully Coregel forgives me soon for letting her sister go.

Karen

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

awwe I have tears in my eyes! I promise your mare will be every bit as spoiled rotten as Gode! and enjoy him, he is one in a million (or as my friends like to say "genetically modified to be perfect")...I honestly think he should have been paid as a therapist at times lol! Tango's are some pretty big shoes to fill but hes got a huge heart and I know he will try with everything he has :)