Friday, February 4, 2011

Back in the saddle again!

It is good to be back riding! Was able to ride three horses today, with just one major neck twinge (not surprisingly it was on jack hammer Tango...) and it feels good to be back in the saddle. Interestingly it was Mother Nature that helped with my recovery; on Monday I had a little slip on the snow/ice and it resulted in just the right tweaking to cause a loud POP in my neck...and suddenly I could look up again! More than just gaining movement it also cleared much of the fog that had settled in my noggin. The "cure" reminded me of the Simpson's episode where Homer hurts his back and fixes it by falling backwards over a dented metal garbage can. He was able to market the can...not sure I can market ice.

Still not jumping yet, as I am worried that a good pop over the jump might knock me back out of it, but with time I am sure I will be back to 100%.

Meanwhile I am trying to start Coregel under saddle without my typical routine of lunging. The vet wants me to get her going so as to help her ankle scar down securely and properly, but at the same time I should not do too much lunging which may strain the area...so to get her used to voice commands and the feel of the tack I am doing in hand work...which is me leading her around with her tack on (she looks so grown up in her dressage saddle, white pad and dressage bridle!). Apparently I am very unfit though; two laps around the indoor and I feel faint! Apparently it has been too long since I last had to chase Rocket around with a beginner. Rocket has been good for my fitness...always looking after me that one.

Note to boarders: we are deworming next week; cost to deworm with Exodus is $8.00 for inside horses, and $10.00 for outside boarders. Please call, email or sign up on the white board if you wish for me to deworm your horse!

Karen

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sincerely very happy to hear that your slip helped you and you're feeling better! I've thought about you many times since hearing you'd gotten hurt! I hope you do get back to 100%, or maybe even better than you were before - maybe something else that was out, or needed "tweaking" will also have gotten resolved as a result of everything ;o) Were you doing any kind of therapy - physio, chiro, massage?

Terri-Leigh

Hillside Stable said...

I was going for physio and doing ultrasound. Ultrasound was helping soft tissue, as was physio, but my therapist was unwilling to work on the top of my vertebra due to inherent risks with manipulations in that area. Thank goodness I slipped!