Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Beware the shedding!

Is spring really here? I hope so, maybe it will melt my brain! I really cannot wait to get riding outside although I am sure that is still a ways off.

This week in lessons we are introducing haunches out and picking up the counter canter on the long side. Haunches out is where the horse is travelling straight and slightly off the track with its neck and shoulders, but its hip is bent around the "outside" leg and angled towards the wall. The front legs travel straight, but the hind legs cross over. This will result in the horse being bent to the outside, and is an easy way to set up to pick up the outside canter lead.

Jumping wise I have set up a course with a couple bending lines. We will work on making sure the horse's don't try to change leads in the bending lines as that throws off the striding. We will also try to land the leads when possible to further smooth out the course.

Karen

No comments: