Thursday, November 14, 2013

And another one gone..

I took Rocky over to his new home today: he went to his breeder's daughter, which is kind of a nice bookend to his life. Hard to think that we had him for 10 years! We got him as a green broke 9 year old, and then taught him to jump. He was never the best for a lesson horse, as he was a tad opinionated and let people know they annoyed him by kicking out...and wasn't keen on standing to be mounted...but boy does he like to jump. He was also my go to fun trail horse and I used him to pony young horses when I was doing more training.

To get him to his new home I decided to ride him over as it seemed silly to hook up the trailer for a mere mile. As per my usual style on Rocky I rode him over bareback and it was so much fun...I can't imagine Izzy ever getting to the point where I will trust her down a busy rode bareback! Of course  also can't imagine her with Rocky's copious hair which is pretty much guaranteed to keep me on...so a little sad to leave him at his new home, but I think it is the perfect next home for him as he is nowhere near ready to retire!

With Rocky and Gody both gone though, that paddock seemed far to empty, and Zander seemed unimpressed to be stuck with Dexter all on his own, so I moved Dexter over to be with Percy and Magnus, and opened the gate so Zander could be in with Shawn and friends. Hopefully the horses hang out near the barn side at night so that they aren't hard to find, but it will for sure make turnout easier, as they are all just outside the barn!

I have started organizing for the tack sale, and it reminds me a bit of being a little kid and playing store...lots of good stuff for sale, and I have colour coded tags for different price points to make it easier for people to look for things in their budget.

Now of course I worry about having enough shoppers come out! Not sure if the bad weather forecast will keep  them away...but I hope not!

Karen

No comments: