Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Chocolate

My name is Karen and I am a chocolate addict. I have not had chocolate for over 7 weeks now.

For those of you who know me, you know that this is an accomplishment! Once I was told to give up chocolate, I gave Rob the M&Ms and just weaned myself off with the remaining chocolate chip granola bars. Chocolate is everywhere though...it is rare to have a commercial break that doesn't have at least one ad for chocolate, whether it be candy, cookies or cakes! In the grocery store, there is chocolate on every single aisle... even the fruit section has chocolate dips! And if there isn't anything to go in the aisle with chocolate, then they put it in a display at one end or the other as a promotional angle. And then again at the check out! I think October and the beginning of November (price dropped Halloween candy!) is the hardest time for a recovering chocolate addict.

But you know what I did? I just didn't buy it. If you don't buy it, you can't have it, and then the habit is kicked. Sure I had moments where I REALLY wanted some chocolate and I would wander the kitchen for a replacement...but there is NO replacement for the smooth goodness and pick me up of chocolate... although Activia prune yogurt actually comes close.

I kind of wondered if I would ever have the will power to be a dieter or kick a bad habit...and now I know I do and I can. So now I have no pity for smokers. Seriously, it is just this simple...stop buying the cigarettes. Crack may be harder to quit as I assume crack dealers will find you and deliver to your door which would be hard to resist, but smokers have no excuse. At some point they decide to go all the way to the store to buy some cigarettes and keep on smoking. Which may be where being a little lazy is actually a good thing...

Rob actually ate chocolate in front of me in the truck the other day and I didn't feel the urge to smack him and steal it. This was my sign that my love affair with chocolate was over.

Now if someone can find me a snacking indulgence alternative....

Karen



2 comments:

Squeaksmom said...

Oikos key lime yoghurt. It isn't chocolate, but it is sweet creamy goodness.

Hillside Stable said...

Kelsey recommended that too! Found it at Walmart, and it is waiting in the fridge for me to try! Not very portable though...they need to work on that....